Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Baseball and the other sports that don't start with Wr...

...and end with estling.

Let me start with some straightforward statements to make sure there isn't any confusion.

Here are some simple things I believe that I don't say a whole lot:

I like basketball, volleyball, football, cross country, soccer, and all sorts of sports other then wrestling (not necessarily in that order).
I'm slowly learning to appreciate baseball.
Can you play a spring sport and be good at wrestling in the winter? YES!
Can you go on vacation all summer and be good at wrestling in the winter? YES!
Can you play a fall sport and be good at wrestling in the winter? YES!
Skyline will not win the district without athletes in the lineup that only wrestle 3 months a year (instead of forfeits)

Here are some simple things I believe that I probably say too much:

Some sports, like football and long-distance running, are good cross-training sports for wrestling.
Some sports, like baseball, are not.
The only way I know to be better then the other guy is to work harder then the other guy.
Can you be the best that you could possibly be at wrestling if you only wrestle in the winter? NO!
Skyline will not win the district without a group of year-round wrestlers in the lineup.

So let me summarize...

You can play [insert sport] in the [insert season] and wrestle in the winter.  You will still win matches, be a productive part of the team, have fun, and so forth.  In fact, without you the other bunch of guys that wrestle year-round won't be able to do much as a team.  We need you.

Here is the thing though.  I'm a comptetitive guy and I like to see my guys win every match I think they are supposed to.  I'm going to ask you to go to team camp.  I'm going to ask you to go to spring tournaments.  I'm going to ask you how often you lift.  I'm going to ask you to wrestle some in the fall.  I'm going to ask you to do those things and others because I know what it takes to make you the best wrestler you can be.  I care about your success and I'm willing to do the extra things to reach it.

Isn't that the sort of wrestling coach you want?

No comments:

Post a Comment